When I see jar of Nutella I think of my summer in college that I spent backpacking through Europe. I lived in Paris for a month while taking a class and let’s just say I ate a ton of crepes. My favorite kind was strawberry, Banana and Nutella.
When I came across a recipe for Nutella swirl cupcakes, my brain automatically thought strawberry, banana and Nutella crepe. Then my brain jumped to could I make a crepe cupcake? The answer is yes!
I started off with a dense vanilla cake. The cake has to be dense so the Nutella swirl doesn’t just sink to the bottom.
Using a sandwich bag I piped a thin swirl of Nutella onto each cupcake.
I then swirled the Nutella into the cupcake using a toothpick.
Then I pitted strawberries and placed one, pitted side up, into the center of each cupcake. I must say, this was the best part of the cupcake. After it was cooked it was the best cupcake filling I have had in a while.
To top it off I piped on banana cream frosting, made with real bananas. So good.
Disclaimer: This is not a substitute for going to Paris and eating a crepe but it is a pretty amazing cupcake.
Strawberry, Banana & Nutella Crepe Cupcakes
Strawberry & Nutella Cupcakes
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon table salt
- 2 sticks butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 24 whole strawberries, hulled + more for garnishing *
- 1-2 cups Nutella
- Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin tin with 24 standard cupcake liners.
- In a mixer, whip together butter, sugar, yogurt, eggs, and vanilla with paddle attachment. Beat until smooth.
- Gradually add in baking powder, salt and flour. Mix well.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared liners (about 2/3 full).
- Using a sandwich bag, pipe Nutella through small hole in bag onto cupcakes. Using a toothpick, swirl and fold Nutella into batter.
- Press one strawberry, pointy-side down, into the center of each cupcake.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cupcake tops are pale gold and springy.
- Place cupcakes on wire rack to cool.
Banana Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup mashed banana, about 2 large bananas
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice**
- Dash of salt
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar (find right piping consistency)
- In a mixer, whip together butter until fluffy.
- In small bowl, mash bananas. Add lemon juice and salt. Mix until combined.
- Gradually incorporate powdered sugar and banana mixture with the butter in mixer, scraping down sides. Mix until combined.
- Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes. Add strawberry garnish.
* to help the garnish strawberries last a little longer, melt together 1 tablespoon strawberry jam and 1 tablespoon water, mix well. Brush over berry.
** lemon juice helps the banana not brown as fast.