I have gotten a little distracted with my everyday life and have not had a chance to post. I wanted to make sure I got these cupcakes up before St. Patrick’s Day because they would make a great themed treat! I made these along with my attempt at purple red velvet a few weekends ago for the Team an Training Tri half way party we hosted at our house.
These were by far the visual favorite of the night. Who could pass up an Andes mint sprinkled cupcake? They tasted amazing too! These cupcakes were very moist and had a light mint flavor to them. I am not a huge fan of strong mint flavors so these cupcakes were perfect in my opinion.
The cupcakes were topped with white chocolate frosting. I crushed up some Andes mints to top off this already amazing cupcake combo.
This is a cupcake I highly recommend trying! I will be making them again at some point in my life.
Yields: 20 to 22 cupcakes
4 egg whites (at room temperature, about 30 mins)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup green creme de memthe
1/2 cup shortening
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Line a muffin tin with 20 liners Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a 2-cup glass measuring cup combine the buttermilk and the creme de menthe. Set aside.
- Beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture to shortening mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until mixture is combined
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full. Use the back of a spoon to smooth out batter in cups.
White Chocolate Frosting
Yield: 3-1/2 cups
1 cup butter, softened
6 ounces white baking chocolate with cocoa butter, chopped
1/3 cup whipping cream
1 1/2 -2 cups powdered sugar
- Place white baking chocolate in a large mixing bowl; set aside.
- In a small saucepan heat whipping cream just until simmering. Pour over white baking chocolate; let stand, without stirring, for 5 minutes. Stir until smooth; let stand for 15 minutes.
- Gradually beat butter into melted white chocolate mixture with an electric mixer on medium to high speed, beating until combined.
- Gradually beat in powdered sugar until frosting reaches piping or spreading consistency.
Mint Shamrock Milkshake Cupcakes
Pipe white chocolate frosting onto cooled mint cupcakes. Top with crushed Andes Mints.
Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens, Shamrock Milkshake Cupcakes