Alex and I spent the weekend in Port Ludlow, WA for a triathlon training weekend with his Team in Training team. We had a beautiful day on Sunday after a really rainy Saturday. I had a chance to take out my camera and get a couple of shots of the bike portion of the training. Here are a few of my favorites:
The area around Port Ludlow was gorgeous. Here is the pretty view from the bridge I was waiting on for the bikers to come past.
I made a couple desserts for the weekend (I love when I can make desserts). The first was the strawberry banana & Nutella cupcakes
I posted about yesterday and the second was Chocolate Malted Robins Eggs Cookies I adapted from Mary at chasing some blue sky
These cookies are so additive! The main cookie flavor comes from the chopped up robin egg candies and malt mix. These cookies would make a special Easter treat or substitute Whoppers in to make this recipe year round.
I used our BlendTec blender
to chop up the candy and it did this in about 2 seconds. This is the most amazing bender I have ever used! If you don’t have a good blender I would highly recommend this one, it is completely worth the high price tag. Thanks to our friends Emily and Nick
for getting us stuck on this blender.
I also topped the cookies with mini robin egg candy for an added crunch on the top.
Warning: These cookies are impossible to just take just half of one. We proved this multiple times this weekend.
Chocolate Malted Robins Eggs Cookies
Adapted from chasing some blue skyIngredients:
- 1-3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup malted milk powder or Ovaltine, regular or chocolate flavored (I used chocolate Ovaltine)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick plus 3 tablespoons butter (at room temperature)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups coarsely chopped Robins Eggs (or Whoppers)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Mini Robins Eggs (optional for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In mixer with paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar on medium until fluffy . Add eggs and vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the rest of the dry ingredients (all but chocolate chips and candy) until there are no lumps.
- Gradually add in half the dry ingredients to mixer and mix on low speed.
- Add milk and beat in.
- Scrape sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula and add the rest of the dry ingredients to the bowl. Mix on low speed.
- Add Robins Eggs, chocolate chips and stir together
- Using a cookie scoop or a spoon, drop rounded tablespoon size dough on cookie sheet. Leave a generous inch between cookies.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes. Around 2-3 minutes before done, press in mini robin egg candy into cookies and let finish baking. Let cool for 2-3 minutes before moving to cooling rack.